RR #5: Shaka, When the Walls Fell
Shaka, When the Walls Fell
Shaka, when the walls fell, means inability to understand. The incomprehensible Tamarians spoke entirely in metaphors.
Dilemma - Dual dilemma
Characteristics: Tamarian-related dilemma.
Dieses Karten-Review wurde von Kathy McCracken verfasst und zunächst auf "Major Rakals Tal Shiar Headquarters (members.cox.net/majorrakal)" am 20.12.1996 veröffentlicht.
Dieser Artikel ist Teil der Artikel-Serie "Romulan Review" des Autors "Major Rakal (Kathy Mc Kracken)". Siehe auch:
- Vorheriger "Romulan Review" (# 4) Artikel: "RR #4: Dilemma Strategy, Part 1".
- Nächster "Romulan Review" (# 6) Artikel: "RR #6: Looking for ships in all the wrong places".
Aefvadh! Last time, I said my personal favorite wall dilemma was Shaka, When The Walls Fell. Let's take a look at why.
SHAKA, WHEN THE WALLS FELL
First, it's both Planet and Space. You'll always have a place to use it, and it works well in combination with a number of followup killers.
Second, it virtually guarantees your opponent will have to bring in a minimum of 4 personnel to meet the CUNNING requirement. For Klingons, it's more likely to take 5 or 6. Romulans will have the easiest time with this with their high Cunning. Feds fall in between.
Third, and most important, two of those personnel will have Diplomacy. Why is that so crucial? Because NO common, universal personnel, and NO holographic personnel, have Diplomacy. So with rare exceptions, you'll always get two uncommon or rare, unique personnel laying their lives on the line. Not only can this dilemma stall your opponent, he may just abandon the mission attempt rather than risk valuable personnel.
The exceptions: Jean-Luc Picard (Prem), Dathon, Sarek, Riva, Pardek, and Ves Alkar each have Diplomacy x2. It's doubtful that you'll encounter Riva; Ves Alkar has to have at least one female Empath with him to have the Diplomacy x2, so you automatically have a second valuable personnel at risk; and the rest, especially Jean-Luc, would all be worthwhile kills. Dathon is a special case: because he nullifies Tamarian-related dilemmas, your opponent could pass this with Dathon alone. But then he'd be a sitting duck for the next dilemma, so he probably won't be alone.
Now that you've got them there, what next? I recommend a minimum of two killers/disablers to follow. Remember that two of the personnel will be diplomats, who won't contribute much in the way of classifications or skills to overcoming other dilemmas; but your opponent will probably supply a minimum of one each MEDICAL, SECURITY, and SCIENCE to make up the required CUNNING > 30. Notes on a few of the more useful dilemmas:
- Hunter Gangs (P). Most effective against Romulans, then Klingons and Feds.
- Chalnoth (P) and Nagilum (S). Precede with Interphasic Plasma Creatures to cut STRENGTH.
- Ferengi Attack (P). Precede with IP Creatures and/or Brain Drain.
- Zaldan (P). This one was made for Shaka because it targets Diplomats. Precede with mething to excise a critical Treachery (for Romulans) or Exobiology (all affiliations).
- Rascals (S). Targets uniques. Most will lose their Diplomacy. Few crews will have two unaffected MEDICAL and Biology left, especially Klingons.
- Cardassian Trap (P/S). Targets uniques and gives you a captive.
- Thought Fire (P/S). Requires the Traveler to trigger. Useless against Feds; kills most Klingon and Romulan universals (who see heavy use for MEDICAL and SECURITY), the Duras family, and many unique Romulans, plus many otherwise useful non-aligneds. Won't kill the diplomats, but can clean out MEDICAL and SECURITY for non-Feds.
- Yuta (P/S). For best effect, memorize a few key "Yuta numbers" for Diplomats. Fed: 11 matches Picard, Deanna Troi (or Major Rakal), Rachel Garrett, and Riva; Sarek is 16, Riker 8, Worf 4. Klingon: Gowron and Kurn are 6, Gov. Worf 7, K’mpec 10. Romulan: Major Rakal and Sirol are 8, Sela 7, Pardek 6, Cmdr. Tomalak 5, Tomalak 4. Non-aligned: Dathon and Maques 11, Devinoni Ral 9, Evek 5.
- Q-Flash (P/S). Fill your Q-Continuum with cards such as Incoming Message - The Continuum, The Higher...The Q-Er, Door-Net (they're not likely to have any Diplomacy in their hand by now), Penalty Box, Mandarin Bailiff, Jealous Amanda, His Honor, The High Sheriff Of Nottingham, Scottish Setter, and Pla-Net.
The Major's Combos: (dilemmas should be encountered in the listed order)
- Shaka, When the Walls Fell + Tarellian Plague Ship + Rascals.
- Shaka, When the Walls Fell + Interphasic Plasma Creatures + Nagilum.
- Shaka, When the Walls Fell + Two-Dimensional Creatures + Thought Fire.
- Shaka, When the Walls Fell + Interphasic Plasma Creatures + Chalnoth (or Ferengi Attack) + Zaldan.
- Shaka, When the Walls Fell + Armus - Skin of Evil + Alien Abduction.
- Shaka, When the Walls Fell + Male’s Love Interest + Hunter Gangs.
- Shaka, When the Walls Fell + Q-Flash + Male's Love Interest.